Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Weekly Damage 1/3/12: P.D. James, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo sequel, Megan Abbott and more!

Image Courtesy of Animal
My New Year's Resolution is to post the weekly damage in a timelier manner.... Welcome to 2012!

1) As a recently graduated English major, I definitely know two things: That T.S. Eliot’s “The Waste Land” is about the modern man’s inability to either create or reappropriate antiquated culture to create contemporary meaning after WWII, and that I hate Jane Austen. I hated the books in high school and in college, and despite what American culture thinks about my certain demographic, I hate the movies. The only thing I ever liked about Jane Austen “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies,” my heart went pitter patter at the idea of Darcy’s brains begin devoured like a fine delicacy by a child missing a jaw (how this would happen, I’m not sure). However, after reading this review of P.D. James’ new mystery novel, “Death Comes to Pemberly,” I might give the Austen genera another shot, although it doesn’t look like Darcy gets serial-killer-murdered…. Also, I’m putting faith in James’ ability to help me to distinguish any character besides Darcy from each other, as they all seem like hysterical women hell bent on marriage. (via The New York Times.)

2) Despite a less-than-enthusiastic reaction to the film adaptation of Girl with a Dragon Tattoo—jury is still out on whether releasing a sexually violent attack on misogyny during Christmas week was smart marketing-- there seems to be just enough buzz circling to spark interest in a sequel. Ignoring the qualms of whatever emotionally out-of-touch mother brought her sugar-plums-dancing-in-their-heads children to this film: I personally thought it was amazing, thought provoking etc etc. I can’t wait for the next one. Well, let’s not get ahead of ourselves here, according to Slash Film, David Fincher (yes please) has expressed a mere interest in shooting The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest. I mean, does the man really need convincing to frolic through Sweden with an anorexic and punked out Rooney Mara while filming emotive motorcycle trips? The girl did pierce every part of her body for this role, David… ahem. (via Flavorwire)

More After the Jump!


3) Yay stereotyping! Flavorwire has made a list of the 2011’s top selling books and what they say about you (insert-tongue-in-cheek here). They included a surprising number of our staff pics for 2011, notably, Zone One by Colson Whitehead, 10Q4 by Haruki Murakami, 11/22/63 by Stephen King, and The Tiger’s Wife by Tea Obreht. Check it out if you want to see your literary taste reduced to a short summation which is both humiliating and true. I’m sure Ian will be pleased when he discovers his book taste characterizes him as a “Slave to fashion,” or a “Girl who desperately wants a certain kind of surreal magic to exist in the world.” (Via Falvorpill).

4) I don’t think I’m alone here in saying that if I hear once more Adele phoenix-from-the-ashes-love-ballad, I might rip out my eardrums and use them to form my own (tiny) band. In response to America’s (the world’s?) infatuation with the feverish beginning and then the death rattling end of romance, my band would dedicate itself strictly to murder ballads. You think a broken heart is bad, what about a mouth full of broken teeth (am I right?)?? In hunting for lyrical inspirations, I stumbled up this article by Megan Abbott and Sara Gran musing on their two favorite murder ballads: “Knoxville Girl” by Louvin Brothers, and “Ladies in Love” by Jon Derosa based on American serial killer, Chrales Schmid, Jr. Check it out here. A quick list of personal favorite murder ballads: Sufjan Stevens’ “John Wayne Gacy Jr.”,The Kindness of Strangers” by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and “Carolina Drama” by The Raconteurs. (via The Abbott Gran Medicine Show).

5) In celebration of the New Year, Marcia Clark has written an original Rachael Knight story for Mulholland Books. Get a head start on your new year's resolutions to read more by starting with her story! (via Mulholland Books).

Have a good one everyone. Alex

No comments: